tisdag 23 mars 2010

Daytrippin' to Nara

After one day in Kyoto I went for a daytrip to Nara, a "small" city an hour away from Kyoto. Nara was Japan's first capital and is home to many temples and shrines. One of the most famous attractions is the Tōdai-ji temple with its Daibutsu-den Hall, shown in the picture above. This is the biggest wooden building in the world and I can tell you it's really gigantic. However, the version of the buidling seen today is from the beginning of the 18th century and is only two thirds as big as the original buiclfing. I think the Daibutsu-den Hall is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to, its difficult to explain why but it felt like there was something magic about the whole place. The Daibutsu-den Hall is home to Japan's largest Daibutsu, a Buddha scultpture made in bronz and measuring 16 meters in height. There is also a famous hole in one of the pillars inside the building which is the same size as the nostrils of the Buddha sculpture. it is said that if you can squeeze throught this hole you will be blessed with enlightenment in your next life. I never tried because I had the feeling that I would get stuck there and someone had to get the chain saw out...

I also visited many other temples and shrines in Nara and went to a museum with wood carved sculptures. All in all I had a great day in Nara. To check out the pictures from Nara, take a look here.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar